Thursday, November 8, 2007

Chatrooms, Newsgroups, Forums, Oh my!

Yes you have an online identity. Whether it be IRC, AOL screen names, ICQ, newsgroups, Linkedin, Plaxo, Xanga, Blogspot, AsianAvenue, Click2Asia, Friendster, Facebook, Myspace, or Craigslist, we all have an online presence.

These listed above are a few of the online communities I have joined in the past. Whether it was for reason of peer pressure, hot chick-booth babe influence, or because of curiosity, we all have participated and were drawn to these sites.

These types of communities have made outreaching so much easier. Whether it be to post pictures for family, share stories with friends, link with colleagues, or perform online transactions, this is what its all about.

I remember before trying to sell something of mine. My only alternatives was through my friends passing the word along, or even simpler - convincing my buddy that they needed to buy my second hand goods.

Today, its too easy. I posted a bicycle for sale on Craigslist. I got 6 responses within 24 hours and sold the bike within 72. Granted it is sketchy - meeting in a public parking lot with a lot of witnesses and lights, handling in cash payments while looking for the security stripe, and of course worrying about being flat out robbed.

Needless to say, I've been very lucky so far. Online, I've successfully sold:

Books, computer parts, paintball markers, bikes, electronics, and even 2 cars.

Now to be able to do this not from my desktop, nor my laptop, but on my mobile.

No comments: