Thursday, May 6, 2010

JVC KD-R610 Review

I just ordered a new deck for my 2006 Nissan Frontier from www.crutchfield.com.  I was deciding whether or now I wanted to get a Navi/DVD/CD/double DIN unit for the truck but came to my senses and went with a simple audio upgrade.  I do have a Garmin Nuvi that I can always mount to the windshield to handle the navigation anyway..

During my search, I had a few requirements for a new deck:
1. USB connectivity with compatibility with an iPod or iPhone
2. AUX In
3. Color matching to dashboard lights

This deck proved to have all of the above with both the USB and AUX inputs up in front.  I ended getting it for $139.99 shipped from www.crutchfield.com.  Had I purchased a navi HU, it would not have been from this store due to cost savings elsewhere, but because it was cheap enough here, I went with it.  Crutchfield offers other free items too including wiring harness and a Metra dashkit FREE with purchase.  What I like about Crutchfield as well is the variety to choose from, the "Fit My Car" feature, and installation sheets - all of which were included.

Here is the box that the HU came in.















Crutchfield is even earth conscious with their peanuts!















Here are the contents of the box:



And with the JVC box open:
 
And the soldering iron, solder, and heat shrink used for the wiring:

 

And now on to the truck.  What is nice about the Nissan Frontier is the simplicity of this install.  There are a total of 5 screws to remove to do the install.  There is no cutting, altering, or shaving to get a nice clean fit.  The Metra kit made this install a breeze!

Once you get in the car, use a flat tool to pry off the upper tray.  In here you will find a single screw to remove which then allows you to remove the entire center console cover.  While you can probably just pry this back without removing the bottom portion, I did it anyway for the purpose of this review/walkthrough.  Here are those pics:
 


Now that the deck is out, you unscrew the OEM bracket so you now have screws for the Metra kit for the new deck.

Now make sure your wiring job is done correctly - color spliced to the matching color and then tape or shrink wrap it!
 
Now its just a matter of plugging everything back in, mounting the Metra kit and the deck inside it, and reassemble the dash.  
And the deck all nicely installed:

I immediately changed the deck colors to match the dashboard and plugged in my iPhone in which it quickly recognized and was controllable through the deck.


No comments: